- Begin by making the stuffing.
- Bring 2 cups chicken stock to a boil. Add the wild rice and cook just until the grains start to burst
- Heat port in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave for about a minute. Pour over dried cranberries and let steep, covered, to soften and absorb some of the port (if you think about it, you can do this overnight and the cranberries will become even more flavorful – don’t worry, the alcohol cooks out).
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced celery and saute until translucent.
- Add the cooked rice and the drained cranberries (reserve the soaking liquid – you’ll need it later).
- Add a little bit of the chicken stock from cooking the rice. Stir everything together and cook until the chicken stock has evaporated.
- Set this mixture aside to cool (I stuck mine in the freezer for a bit while I prepared the hens).
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Remove the hens from their packaging, remove any innards, and pat the skin dry.
- Place them in a baking dish.
- Spoon the cooled stuffing into the cavities
- Liberally salt and pepper the skin of the hens
- Bake in the center of your preheated oven
- For the glaze – empty your cranberry sauce into a sauce pan set over medium heat. Add a bit of the port to thin it some. Heat it just enough to loosen it up a bit, so you can brush it onto the hens.
- After the hens have been in the oven for 15 minutes, brush the cranberry glaze onto the surface of the hens.
- Repeat this every 15 minutes or so, until hens are done cooking.
- Remove hens from oven when internal temperature of stuffing reaches 180F on a probe thermometer.
December 7: Drinks
- Food Woolf (read the post)
- The Gringo Chapin (read the post)
- Neo-Homesteading (read the post)
- Three Many Cooks (read the post)
December 8: Salads
December 9: Soup
- edible cville (read the post)
- The Runaway Spoon (read the post)
- A Girl, A Market, A Meal (read the post)
- Ladles and Jellyspoons (read the post)
- Two Dollar Dinners (read the post)
- All About Alton Brown (read the post)
- Cookie Central’s Great American Bake Sale (read the post)
- Celiac Teen (read the post)
- Celiacs in the House (read the post)
- Gluten Free Life with Jen (read the post)
- And Love it Too! (read the post)
December 10: Entrees