>Black-eyed Pea and Quinoa Salad

Tonight’s dinner consisted of barbecue pork sandwiches and this black-eyed pea and quinoa salad.  It was a nice light foil to the rich, succulent pulled pork.

Cook one cup of red quinoa in two cups chicken stock.  When it’s done, mix it in a bowl with two cups cooked black-eyed peas; two celery ribs, minced; half a medium onion, minced.  To this, add a light vinaigrette (1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, pinch salt, fresh thyme, 2 tablespoons olive oil – whisk together to emulsify) and salt and pepper to taste.

About these ads

Categories: sides

find l.i.r.

8 Comments on “>Black-eyed Pea and Quinoa Salad”

1. Melissa
    12 June 2012 at 12:36 pm #

I’m surprised nobody has commented on this recipe. Just made it last week and it was a big hit. I did not use red quinoa, but everything still turned out great. The flavor combinations with the black eyed peas cooked in a rich chicken stock and the dressing over it is great. Note that you may want to make extra dressing for leftovers the next day because the beans & quinoa continue to soak up the dressing overnight.

• 12 June 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Hi Melissa:

Thanks so much for letting me know you tried it. It was one of the first recipes I ever posted (literally, I had been blogging for about a month when it went up), so maybe that’s why no-one ever commented. It’s gotten a lot more traffic of late because it was featured on Blisstree.com not long ago in one of their Meatless Monday segments. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it. And, thanks for the tip on the extra dressing – that’s good to know.

2. Melissa
    12 June 2012 at 12:37 pm #

To update the comment, I still used quinoa, just not the red variety :)

3. Not Vegetarian but what?
    19 September 2012 at 8:26 pm #

why is this considered a recipe for “meatless monday” if you cook it in a MEAT STALK?????

• 19 September 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Hi – thanks for the question! Truthfully, when I wrote the recipe, it wasn’t in any way labeled as vegetarian (or for Meatless Mondays). When Blisstree chose to run it as part of their Meatless Monday feature, perhaps they didn’t notice the chicken stock in the ingredient list. I’m sure you could cook the Quinoa in vegetable stock to make it truly “meatless”.

4. 30 December 2012 at 5:32 pm #

What a creative way to use black-eyed peas! Love quinoa, especially the red kind.

5. Tracy
    2 January 2013 at 8:15 am #

My family loved it. We needed a recipe for black eyed peas for New Years and I was very happy with it!

• 2 January 2013 at 8:23 am #

Hi Tracy! Thanks for letting me know. I’m planning on making it again today with some of our leftover peas from yesterday.